Translate

Saturday, February 11, 2023

I lost my friend, My Preceptor!

“To tell the truth, he was always a little detached from his family; he had trouble with them because of his views on religion,” he said. “He was very outspoken. He didn’t worry about whether you were with him or not.”

The late blogger, Nazimuddin Samad, a postgraduate law student from the state-run Jagannath University, was assaulted by four assailants while returning home with another youth after completing classes at his university. The youth accompanying Samad during the attack has been missing ever since.

Mr. Uddin’s killing deepens the sense of dread among those campaigning for secular causes. Bangladesh is officially secular but critics say the government has failed to properly address the attacks. 

His Facebook writings focused on the ideological rift that has opened among young Bangladeshis, between those who see the country as fundamentally secular and those gravitating toward orthodox Islam.

He frequently urged the government to take a tougher line with Islamist groups. In one post, he used a proverb to criticize the government’s approach to rising militancy, likening it to raising a baby snake by feeding it milk and bananas. Asked for his religious views, Mr. Uddin wrote, “I have no religion.” such an intellectually clear & honest individual.. 

I miss him everytime, I miss his advice, I miss his guidance to become a blogger, I miss his inspiration,  I miss his voice.. I miss Nazim! My friend. 

The comment of the home minister after Samad’s killing is instructive. He practically put the blame squarely on the bloggers and asked ‘Why are they [bloggers] using these kind of languages against religious establishment? 

Is it a Shame? 

No comments:

Post a Comment